Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pear Honey

Pear Honey - it really isn't honey.
It is more of a preserves or a jam.
It is my Grandma Rosie's recipe and has been made every year for as long as I can remember.  After Mom passed away, I started making it and sending to friends and family for Christmas.

I even remember that my mother made it in 2001 on September 10 and when I gave a jar to a friend; he remarked ... "this Pear Honey is innocent" --- it was made the day before 9/11.

It also ushers in fall for me.  Mom usually made it around Labor Day or a week or so later - so even though it is 102* today in Vegas, I had a very fall-like afternoon in my kitchen making my beloved Pear Honey (and enjoying the air conditioning!!)

And now that the jars are filled, I can sit and watch the first Broncos game of the season!

Grandma Rosie's Pear Honey ©


8 cups ground up pears (very ripe)
1 large can crushed pineapple
5 cups granulated sugar

Mix all together in a turkey roaster.  Bake at 350* for at least 2 hours (stir every 20 minutes or so) -- it needs to thicken and become "golden" in color.  Immediately scoop (I use a one-cup pyrex measuring cup) into scalding hot jars - a super hot dishwasher and using the "heated drying" cycle will make them plenty scalding - take the jars out of the dishwasher towards the end of the drying cycle.  Turn the jars upside down after you screw on the bands and then flip upright when they've cooled off.  Makes about 5 pints.

******
This year, I used two flats of pears at Costco, let them fully ripen on the counter, 2 cans of pineapple and 10 cups of sugar.  Doubling the recipe also meant I had to double the time to cook the elixir -- it took over 4 hours for the jam to get the color I wanted.  I do believe this is my best batch ever!!  Yield this year: 9 pints (18 half pint jars)

11 comments:

  1. Oh my word! This sounds amazing! Now I need to go to a farmers market and get me some pears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! You can't go wrong with this recipe!

      Delete
  2. Kate, How long can you keep these jars unopened? Just curious. I may try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this same recipe a couple of years ago and everyone loves it. It's my husband's favorite and he normally doesn't like jams/jellies. I heat my jars slowly in the oven and let them stay at 250 for about 20 minutes to have them hot enough to use. I'm not organized enough to have mine hot at the right time in the dishwasher..lol. It's a great recipe, I had lost mine and was excited when I saw yours. Thanks for posting. My pears are cut up and waiting....better run. Jean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious as to why you turn upside down? Also, I was jars and put in the microwave with a little water to boiling...quick. I dump water out as I use them while they are still hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious as to why you turn upside down? Also, I was jars and ut in microwave with a little water to scold to boiling...quick. I dump water out as I use them while they are still hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People turn the jars upside down in the mistaken notion that if the jar is sealed, it will not spoil. The hot jam will heat the lid, since it is upside down. When it is turned right-side up, the lid and contents cool, creating a slight vacuum and making the lid seal. However, it does not guarantee that all of the air inside has been pushed out, thus, it can spoil and you won't know until you open the jar and see mold. It's a real drag when you see jars you worked hard on, were not sealed properly, and you have jars of various-coloured mold, instead.
      Water-bath jams, jellies, syrups, other acidic or high-sugar items. Pressure-can low-acid items.

      Delete
  6. Do you need to use sure jell??? Like with other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What size can of pineapple did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How long will it keep on the shelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unsafe canning method. People should follow safe tested recipes and methods to best assure no food spoilage, food poisoning or in the case of low acid items, botulinum clostridium or botulism. Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete